Tuesday 13 November 2007

Tuesday 6 November – Sunday 12 November 2007

Up early on Tuesday morning before driving to Abertillery where I share a morning with Steve Thomas, Chief Executive of the Welsh LGA speaking to a well attended South and West Wales association meeting on the impact of Shared Services. Things are starting to move on this front in the area and following the meeting, I arrange to meet with Steve and his colleagues to discuss many of the issues raised in discussion early in the New Year

A frustrating drive back sees me stationary on the M50 for more two hours (but it provides a perfect opportunity to get up to date with e-mails and some Government Connect reading) before arriving back to work just as most are leaving all ready to start the night shift !.

On Wednesday, I am back in Wales but this time go on the train to Newport for a midday visit to the Distance Learning Centre based at the university. I meet David Magor off the train who suggests we take the short walk to the college. What he failed to mention was up a 1 in 3 hill carrying my overnight bag of 3 days, dinner jacket, presidential chain and laptop Arriving at the top where the oxygen definitely appeared thinner (my excuse for being out of breath) we arrived for a very interesting session looking out their e-learning technology. This will totally modernise our current distance-learning offering and a decision will be taken by the Full Council at our January meeting how to progress this. We leave to catch the train into London arriving at Doughty Street with an hour to spare giving us just enough time to change and get to the Rating Surveyors dinner.

A very enjoyable evening followed hosted by Jerry Schroader, RSA President as his top table guests (see picture below, I must learn to sit up straight). I make the lonely walk back to Doughty Street just before midnight to the penthouse flat available to me on the top floor.

Thursday morning sees me doing my morning chores in the flat before going through my diary commitments with Rachel, David’s PA before having a very productive meeting with BACS with whom we are developing work initiatives on a number of fronts to launch early in the New Year (another watch this space). In the afternoon we cut across London to visit an “as yet” secret venue which is provisionally booked for the Annual Drinks reception in July 2008. Contrary to popular belief, it will not be at Stringfellows ! (More of this when I can say more – it keeps you reading in the future this way).

We meet up with two past presidents, Allan Traynor and Carol Cutler in the evening to prepare for the following days interviews for the post of Deputy Chief Executive at the IRRV before a reasonably early night and early next morning (you’ve guessed it catching up on e-mails).
Friday is spent interviewing and we make what will definitely be an excellent appointment for the Institute in Gary Watson. Known to probably all of you, as a very active member of the Institute his knowledge and skills will mean he will be a tremendous addition to HQ staff if a sad loss to the National Council when he takes up his new post in January.

Saturday is spent in the office all day catching up and hopefully getting in front of the forthcoming weeks workload. My votes for “Hope” are keeping them in the “x factor”, Something Different are growing on me but I still think Rhydian will win.

An early Sunday stint sees me at the office by 7.30am before arriving home just in time to entertain the future in-laws for Sunday lunch before a nice friendly game of cards in the afternoon. Catch up with my expenses, booking travel arrangements for the coming months (it’s the way to get ridiculous deals) and a quick call into David before preparing myself for a relatively strange week where I will be in the office most of the time. Best remove the cardboard cut out from behind the desk!

Hope to see you all at the forthcoming CRM and Customer Excellence conference we are running next week (20 and 21 November at Chesford Grange, Kenilworth). Its still not to late too book.