Monday 29 October 2007

Monday 22 October – Sunday 28 October 2007

A busy start to the week saw us entertain the local paparazzi at work with a number of the local papers covering our excellence in customer services award success.

Confused by a few references being made in corridors referring to me as a “President Bob”? It all comes clear why when I see the week’s edition of Opportunities. Never thought I’d become a cover boy featured on a double spread inside and whilst not quite Hello or OK, the coverage we have received of the Institute and its activities in recent weeks in the magazine has been fantastic and very positive.

On Wednesday afternoon, I undertook my second official engagement in Kettering where I gave a paper snappily entitled a “Magical Mystery Tour of Revenues and Benefits (slides on the East Midlands association website) ” to an audience including a number of students and members (note: I am pleased to say I double checked my flies were done up this time)

On Thursday, I spent the day in London with the Audit Commission, BACS, some other Local Authority Direct Debit champions discussing how we develop the work we have been undertaking over the last 12 months. Watch this space for further information.

Spent Friday catching up what I couldn’t deal with on the blackberry and getting my lecturing material run off in preparation for the Keele revision course we traditionally run for students preparing for our December exams.

Saturday – Took 10 students for a seven and a half hour whistle stop tour of Council Tax law. Thankful that the clocks went back an hour meaning going to bed at 2am was technically 1am having enjoyed an evening mixing with what is “the future of the Institute”. The important issues “Who got voted off the X Factor?”

Sunday – 4 students for the same tour but this time “Non Domestic Rates Law”. Finishing at 6.30pm and a quick dinner, our team of tutors and students came a credible 4th in the local pubs Sunday night quiz (thank goodness for the students). Retired to bed well before midnight (I’m getting too old for this) in preparation for today’s final session of Integrative Case Studies for the final year students.

Its been a really enjoyable few days getting the anorak out and getting into some legislation/caselaw and Gary Watson has again done a brilliant job ensuring the 4 day event has run smoothly.

Time to sign off, breakfast calls and the students are keen.